“Data is the new oil? No: Data is the new soil.” – David McCandless
|Grow your livelihood on, food, house etc.||Grow your business with|
|Protect from external damage, e.g. pestilence, pollution, wind etc.||Virus Protection|
|Protect from Theft with fences and security||Security, firewalls, good IT practices, backups|
This analogy is really quite apt once considered. Therefore knowing how safe cloud technology is it is vital you plan to use this technology for your business. Most companies have or are already using cloud technology due directly to the lower costs that are associated with this technology.
The answer of safety relies on legal and trust aspects in its response and generally this relates to the dollars invested and the federal laws that apply to your cloud based location.
In this article, I will explore some of the areas of Safety that you have control of.
In House Server, Rent Infrastructure, or Rent Space and Infrastructure?
Recently I chatted with a corporate IT manager, and we discussed the pros and cons of exactly this option. Due to a company mandate, this companies board has selected that this company may not “rent” space on another company’s server. They feel the risk is too high. Instead they have opted to have their own server – in house. This has led to all sorts of bottle necking, as they simply do not have the internet resources to service their own needs.
So what to do. They either need to invest in massive infrastructure – which frankly is a waste of money, or they can rent the infrastructure and still have their own server. There are many companies that offer this, one of which is a new SA based company called YourDC. The advantage of such a solution is that this is a halfway step. You control your own server. You own your own data. You manage your server. You have access to your server and you decide who else will have access. Totally in your control. The only part you are renting is the infrastructure to house the server and supply the access e.g. internet access to and from your server. For this corporate company, this is the right way to go, based on the board decisions. This is not a cheap option, as maintaining and caring for a server, costs quite a lot of money.
In short the infrastructure for this cloud solution is like a countries infrastructure. You still own your own land, and you pay rent to use the roads, sewerage etc.
Now, if you elect to have your data Hosted, this means, that you are renting not only the infrastructure, but also the physical space for your data to reside. If this is your option, you really ought to read on about other safety considerations.
How to select a Safe Hosting Solution.
We are all still reeling from the events in Paris on the 7th of November. Obviously the terrorist had an impact, and the governments stand against terrorism, has a direct impact on stored data. So if you wish to have control of your data, the government rights over your data must be considered. My recommendation is that you should locate your data in the country that your business head office resides. E.g. if you work in the USA, your data should reside in the USA. If you work in Australia your data should reside in Australia.
This statement has a cost associated. It is initially cheaper to have data reside in a 3rd world country, but what are the long term costs. The question is – what is the cost to your data if it is not residing in your own country.
So what if you have an international company, e.g. you sell or work in more than one location. There are still solutions for you.
In fact this is just 2 of the main players in this arena, there are literally thousands of such companies. This leads us to the issue of how to choose a safe company to be with.
How to choose a Safe Hosting Company?
I have learnt from years of experience as a business manager, that generally the old proverbs are true. “You get what you pay for”. This scenario was almost tailor made for this statement. I have used many hosting companies. Some are really cheap and some are really expensive. But each offers different levels of data safety and protection.
To give you a specific example. As a database developer, I often need administrator level access to work on databases for my clients. One internet hosting company, once they provided this to me, I had access to ALL their clients’ data, not just my clients. I could have copied, shared and deleted data from any company. All this access was given to me freely. By the way, this company was an Australian promoted and located company based in Victoria.
I have also had very economic companies that really gave great value and service for money. Once such company is Azure. This discounted option, is discounted because it is limited to servicing ONLY MS SQL solutions. So in fact Microsoft have discounted this service as part of a marketing or promotion solution to promote their own products.
For Accede’s development we mainly use Amazon, however we have also used Rackspace for quite a few clients. The reason we do this, is because these companies offer the best flexibility, safety and reliability that we can viably afford. So why do we say Safety so easily and what do I consider when I say the word Safety. Accede also use Azure for its MS SQL datbase solutions.
Safety with the hosting company consists of:
- Security for your data
- Is their server reasonably well protected – how easy is it to hack?
- Do they invest in the security of their servers
- What do they have to lose if they are hacked and it becomes public information
- How easy is it to communicate with their technicians if we see or find an issue.
- What country holds the server
- What partners etc. are they linked with that may have an impact.
Now, these are the points that I review when considering were to allow our valuable data to reside. All this information is quite easily available in reviews, company website, and general blogs.
Most hosted servers, have one or more levels of firewall protection. Most also have virus and malware protection. However, is that enough and what other options are available?
This is where data encryption, security certificates, and the server settings are vital.
It is so easy to allow anyone access to your data – in fact it is easiest. But the issue then is that the data is public-ally available. So getting your host initial set up established correctly is vital. Plus this is something that should be periodically checked, as upgrades, changes etc. all can affect your setups.
My suggestion, is that this should be reviewed regularly and reported on as part of your disaster recovery checks. Microsoft recommend this be done done monthly or at least quarterly. With that stated, I suggest that if you care for your data then don’t defer this any longer than twice a year.
Level of Desire/Competition will increase your risk.
Many years ago one of my clients – involved in Manure Sales, was being targeted and regular hack attempts where being made our of India. Reverse checks, showed that a competitive business really wanted the data, and this meant that they were paying others to “get” the data for them. We increased the security and the problem went away.
If your data is desired, then expect that you will have to invest more in time and money to protect your data. Realize that even the highest invested companies have been hacked. So there is nothing, cloud or local that cannot be hacked. What you need to do, is make it so hard to hack, that is just not worth the effort.
So often friends have asked me if I can “hack” their data. Generally these businesses have no real lock on their firewalls, their password is often Password, date of birth or 123, and they have not altered their password in months. This is not what I would call hacking, I really call this looking. For these people the shock I see when they realize that getting to all their data is easy. What is often not understood, is that when you can’t get your data, it is corrupt, locked, forgotten passwords, etc. It is companies like Accede that get your data for you. So I suggest you have some good IT standards, checks and backups in place. Remember your backups contain your data, so security of these also matters.
Is my business safe using cloud technology, cloud data?
That depends on:
- How you set up your cloud service
- Desired level of security
- Caliber of companies you partner with
- And the level of desire your data holds.
I hope this article has given you an insight and areas to consider. Remember as a manager, you don’t have to know all the answers, but you have to know who to ask, and the right questions to ask.
If you have any questions or comments. I am happy to not only receive them, but I will respond to them also.
Christmas + Business + Life Balance =
- “Bah humbug”
- “Life’s like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get”.
- “There are no winners in life, Only survivors”
- No problems – I got it sorted!
- Love Christmas, this is my favorite time of year.
Now, I don’t know your response. But I can tell you over the 34 years of Christmas, my response has changed.
Businesses are generally in one of two categories.
Category 1. This is our busiest or most stressful time of year.
Category 2. We close down for business.
I am sure you can see your business in one of these categories.
So why does Christmas create such stress for so many of us?
- Personal memories or anniversaries
- Paying of monies without income
- Extra costs and delayed income
- Super Busy
- Trying to fit so much in with limited time available
- Un realistic expectations
- Business anniversaries – End of Year, budgets, reviews, planning etc.
- External commitment increases, e.g. where you volunteer or assist, end of year functions etc.
- Balancing staff with holidays, religious and cultural anniversaries
Just to name a few
So how can you achieve all this and have a good Christmas?
There is no magic answer, as it is different for everyone. However I do have some suggestions that have made my Christmas’s much more enjoyable.
- Pre Plan – Lists, Budgets, Basically treat this as a project and plan, plan, plan.
- Set a budget and stick to it. – Easier said than done, but include in your budget a bit of a buff zone.
- Plan time out for yourself. Without this you will most likely not enjoy christmas
- Allow yourself a bit of selfishness. Get yourself a small treat e.g. a massage, or hair appointment, or good book.
- Be at peace with saying – No. Everyone will want something from you, feel OK about refusing every single request. In short, you really will only increase your own burden if you are not OK with saying No.
- Look after your health, your spiritual, your mental wellbeing. This is important.
Now, for 33 of my 34 business years, I have improved on Christmas each year. However each year I strive to get better at this. However, Last year, I finally found my magic formula. So I am going to let you into my secret.
I have a Category 2 business. So we close down, have no income, have expenses, increased demand just prior to Christmas, and know we are coming back to a full load in the New Year. Each year I have planned, budgeted, and even given myself some time off e.g. a holiday. But each year I have felt stressed – until last year. I tried something totally new, and for me – wow, what a difference. So much so, that now I won’t do Christmas again by choice without this new step.
Here is what I do.
- Plan, budget and organize.
- Watch my health, mental, and spiritual wellbeing.
- Express in advance all the steps with my key staff, so we are all on the same page.
Here is the magic for me.
I disappear and float down the Murray River for the 5 days to a week leading up to Christmas, only returning home on Christmas Eve. So I no longer deal with the stress on the road, with last minute shopping, Christmas wrapping, extra drinks and dinners. I am either ready a week before, or too bad.
This really works for me. I had everything ready either around the tree, or in the freezer ready to pull out. The fresh food I need, I pick up on the late afternoon of Christmas Eve.
So in simple terms, I found my “opt out” option that suited me. I took it, to escape the worst time. Why has this been the worst time?
- I used to get extra requests to meet, catchup, do something. – Even if asked, I just can’t do anything.
- Last minute shopping and dealing with all the stress that involves. Being away in a river with no shops – this is not an option.
- I forgot something – too bad. We will have to live with this fact. It is surprising how little of this matters, or can be easily solved, when you have to.
- People start realizing you are not there and they stop asking you to help. Now, that is nice for a week.
- You are planned and organized and you are prepared to leave. So you just let go on the mental pressure.
My suggestion, is for you to find you’re off switch, and use it at the best time for you. So if you are a category 1 business, this may be before the Christmas build up. You may also need another one after Christmas. If you are a category 2 – like me, consider your own opt out. It may be a simple as demanding a day or two to sit in the back yard and read a book – without phones or family demands, so this may take a bit of pre thought – but you can do it.
For those of you who face a bad anniversary Christmas, such as a family loss anniversary. Sharing your pain can often help. I know of a few people in this boat, and friends to these people we keep in our prayers, in our Christmas plans – so that life is easier for them during this period, and we are open to allow them to share or talk when they need during the difficult times. So if you wish to share, please comment on this blog, and share. Sharing this information often reduces the pain dramatically.
I know this will sound selfish, but I have found my solution, and I plan to have a really blessed and peaceful Christmas. I hope that if you read this, you will “like” this, and have the Christmas you desire.
In this modern time of creating a potential business empire, hardwork is not enough for entrepreneurial success. Most of the time, it requires a centered mind and a handful of skill set to establish your business. Let us focus on what traits entrepreneurs should possess to make him extraordinary among others:
- Go-Getter in almost Everything Every entrepreneur should be enthusiastic to accept and take challenges. It is essential that they balance their optimism and their perception of any risks involving a certain project or decision. They must also be rational in making decisions and mitigating tasks to their subordinates.
- Determined to Go for their Business goals Business owners must emphasize their goals not only for this year but for also 5 to 10 years prior. They must also align their employees with their perspective goals. In addition, entrepreneurs must not only possess a tremendous work ethic but also not a quitter. He/she should see failures as stepping stones for improvement and not a roadblock of failure. With these traits, they not only overcome obstacles, but also inspire others to work further.
- Creative in Finding Solution and Information for Business Growth An entrepreneur must be a visionary, one that knows the trends and how to use it to his advantage. They must acquire in-depth information that will make their business grow or stable. Lastly, they must explore options and solutions to solve their problem. As the old idiom goes, Leave no stone unturned.
- Confident and Independent As a businessperson, they should know how to present their selves well in public. They should have that confidence that they can build their brand well and initiate new trends among competition. They also can communicate well their vision and ideas efficiently. Apart from that, they are proactive, can multi-task, and possess a strong sense of responsibility among their subordinates.
- Builder of Harmonious Relationship in the Workplace What entrepreneurs should understand is the art of making your people work with you, not for you. Their employees must feel confident and secure working in your organization. They must feel that you, as a business owner are open, positive, and socially aware.
Building a business not only requires entrepreneurs technical, marketing, and accounting skills. Most importantly, they must highlight their exceptional talent and traits in order to inspire others and work with them to achieve success.
We at Accede Holdings provide the best in accounting and database management technology for business owners in Australia and around the world. For over 30 years, we have created over 600 business applications in every business industry. You can attest that your certain business requirements and needs be met by our experienced pool of developers and coders. Call us today for a free quote at (08) 8363 5699.
As a frequent Microsoft Office user, we got Excel and Access to take care of our tables, charts, and data. Oftentimes, we don’t know which one to use since both of them are good to handle business information. The good thing however is that you can connect your Excel table to your Access database. You may be wondering how, so let me give you reasons why these two programs are perfect for each other.
- Easy to copy data from Excel to Access Copy and paste has never been easy with Access and Excel. You may notice that when you create an Access table and display it in datasheet view, the result closely resembles an Excel worksheet. Sometimes you might not need to create a table or open it in datasheet view. Access automatically asks you if your data has headers, makes good guesses at using the correct data type, and creates an Access table.
- Easy to link Excel worksheet to Access One of the best things Microsoft did to their Office package is the ability to link programs with each other. Take the case of Excel worksheets linking to an Access table. Users can do this in case they are planning to keep the data in Excel, but perform Access features such as queries, forms, and reports. Thanks to the Linked Table Manager Wizard that helps users to track, locate, and update the Excel worksheet. Note that you can only modify, add, and delete data from your Excel worksheet and not from your Access table.
- Easy to import Excel data into Access If you don’t entertain the idea of linking both tables, you can simply import data from Access to Excel. In importing data, Access stores it in a new or existing table without changing the data existed in an Excel table. They have an Import Wizard that will help you to in the process and decide what data types and headers would you like to change or implement. Note that you cannot import formulas from Excel to Access, just the results of whatever formula there is.
- Easy to collect data using Access for Excel Analysis – Applicable in MS Office 2007 version, both Access and Outlook can work together thanks to the Data Collection Wizard. This feature generates and sends email messages with attached data entry form. Your recipients, sends them back, and then added to the appropriate table in your database as soon as the reply reaches your inbox, will fill this out. This is very helpful if you are conducting a survey, product research, status reports, and even events organization.
- Easy to combine Excel and Access with Sharepoint Both Excel and Access is capable of connecting to Sharepoint. The difference is Excel only supports read-only connection as compared with Access read and writes connection in linked Sharepoint lists. Seems like Access and Sharepoint works well together both online and offline. Users have the option of working with Access database locally and go online to update changes in the Sharepoint site.
This only proves that both Excel and Access might have differences and limitations, but working together will make your business data process easier. Imagine them like salt and pepper, so different but complements one another.
Nowadays, people spend 5 or more hours online for browsing, watching videos, reading articles, and update their social accounts. Have you ever thought that you can use the internet to make money online? At this point, you might have read ideas about startups, studied your target market, or might even setup your own website and email. Let this guide provide you with ideas on what kind of business you can setup online.
- Online Sale/Auction House Setup an online store or auction house using Ebay and other sites to sell your goods. You can either specialize in one item type (example apparel, cookware, gadgets) or generally sell all types of items anytime, anywhere. With online sales/auction, a person can make as much as $1000 with just working two days a week. You can also contact local and regional businesses and collaborate with them. Sell their goods and services to your website in case they have no budget setting up their own.
- Online Art Gallery If you have the eye for detail, you can setup an Online Art Gallery. Contact local artists and sculptors, take pictures of their artworks or art pieces, and post it on various auction websites. You can also setup your own website to sell their artwork or offer your online advertisement space to local art supply stores, local framers, etc. This way, you can make even more money using your website.
- Virtual Classroom You might have a special skill or talent that you want to share like arts and crafts. Start by writing a course about it and teach it online or create modules/guides that users can download. You can also contact learning centers and offer your services to teach technically challenged people to use the internet.
- Online Travel Service If you like traveling or know a lot about places, try setup a travel website. Collaborate with local travel agencies or travel stores and post their travel goods and services on your website. You can setup a blog or bulletin board about traveling and encourage others to participate.
- Online Events Organizer Do you know any groups or organizations in your area? They might need someone who will organize their trips, parties, and special events. Setup a website to drop inquiries or attract them to use your service.
- Survey Business The internet is also a great avenue to start your own survey business. You can conduct surveys and polls for companies. The data you can get from your subscribers is essential for market or product research.
- Online Magazine and Talk Show If you are confident that you have online followers, try setup your own magazine or talk show. Write about community or local events, affairs, politics, etc. In addition, engage your local establishments and businesses to advertise their goods and services to your site. You can also setup Q and A sessions featuring local celebrities or prominent people in your area. Consider setting up a YouTube or podcast channel to broadcast your talk show.
Online Opportunities Small Business Opportunities Magazine Jan. 2015: page 66. Print
Just as we rely on technology and electronics for our dailies, we ought to think what is next for us to come? Gartner Inc. highlighted from their symposium last October 5-9 at Orlando, Florida the top ten strategic technology trends we will expect this 2015. Gartner Inc. defined strategic technology as an idea that has a potential to create a huge impact for the next three years. David Cearley, vice president and Gartner Fellow said that they have identified these trends that they think organizations cannot afford to ignore in their strategic planning. He added that these trends cover three themes: merging real and virtual worlds, the onset of intelligence everywhere, and the technology impact of the digital business shift.
According to Gartner Inc. here are the top 10 trends we should watch for this 2015:
- Computing Everywhere Gartner predicted a much more advancement on mobile devices catering new contexts and environments for the end users. Aside from wearable devices, there is also the idea of consumer electronics and connected screens in both workplace and public spaces. This advancement will pose more management challenges for IT authorities to control their user endpoint devices. It will also become challenging for them to provide extraordinary user design experience for their customers.
- The Internet of Things User-oriented computing will be the thing in 2015. All devices, searches and data leading to the Internet of Things will be connected to the Internet of Me. All searches on one single concept (for example housing) might lead to assets (property list of properties), services (property developers or real estate firms), people (real estate agents), places (list of properties near the area of search) and systems (mortgage systems). Gartner stressed that all industries can leverage to the four basic internet models. These are Manage, Monetize, Operate, and Extend.
- 3D Printing For the next three years, 3D printing is about to get cheaper and its market will grow around 98% in 2015 alone. Industries, biomedical and consumer applications will continue displaying the advantages of using 3d printing as a cost-effective measure. They will reiterate that using this technology will reduce costs through improved designs, streamlined prototyping, and short-run manufacturing without sacrificing product quality.
- Advanced, Pervasive and Invisible Analytics Gartner indicates that analytics will be on the spotlight as it will collect huge number of data generated from embedded systems. These vast pools of structured and unstructured data will be analyzed inside and outside the enterprise. Mr. Cearley said that every app now gathers data from its users and these data can be used in analysis primarily on customer and product research. He added, Organizations need to manage how best to filter the huge amounts of data coming from the Internet of Things, social media and wearable devices, and then deliver exactly the right information to the right person, at the right time. Analytics will become deeply, but invisibly embedded everywhere.” Apparently the answer rely on the numbers or stats not the data itself.
- Context-Rich Systems In relation to embedded analytics and intelligence, this feature will make every system alert and responsive to their surroundings. Context-aware security understands the context of a user request thus alerting the system and respond on a possible security threat. It somehow simplifies the complexities brought about by the advanced computing world.
- Smart Machines Self-taught machines will emerge as they are programmed to understand context data and analytics making them act accordingly. This is predicted to evolve rapidly thus making this technology the most disturbing in the history of IT. Expect more prototype autonomous vehicles, advanced robots, virtual personal assistants, smart advisors and other forms of machine helpers starting the new age of machine helpers.
- Cloud/Client Computing With the emergence of cloud computing over the past years, it is anticipated to synchronize files and applications across multiple devices. This enables apps to use intelligence and storage effectively lowering bandwidth costs. This will provide enhanced experience for gamers as they are able to use multiple screens and wearables while playing.
- Software-Defined Applications and Infrastructure To keep up with the ever-changing demands of digital business, the computing industry should move away from static models and resort to software-defined applications and infrastructure. This along with cloud services are configurable through rich API’s to access their function and content programmatically.
- Web-Scale IT – As defined by Gartner Inc. Web-scale IT is a pattern of global-class computing that delivers the capabilities of large cloud service providers within an enterprise IT setting. It is implemented by web giants such as Amazon, Google and Facebook setting a commercial hardware platform. This platform embraces cloud-optimized and software-defined approaches to reach mainstream. DevOps is said to be the first step in achieving Web-Scale IT for many organizations.
- Risk-Based Security and Self-Protection It is certain that with all this advancements comes the issue of security and protection. It is certain that security measures will go from perimeter defense to multi-faceted approaches. Expect security measures built directly into applications making each app self-aware and self-protecting against threats and viruses.
Last night I was watching 3 Idiots for the first time and a line from the Bollywood movie got my attention. One character said, “Life is a race. If you don’t run fast, you’ll get trampled”. That line hit a nerve on me since at work we all feel like we are in a race. Most of us feel exhausted that sets us back to where our career should be. We must think of our career like a marathon instead of a sprint. For us to get going, we need to follow our passion, push ourselves to improve, and to have a clear mindset to anticipate upcoming setbacks at work.
Sometimes setbacks or curveballs are there to test your capabilities and maximize your full potential as an individual. You can never control what’s going to happen but you can always control how you will react to it. It’s either you see it as a difficulty or an opportunity to improve. Jeff Keller author of Attitude is Everything jot down the ways on how to deal with your setbacks at work:
- This too shall pass – Setbacks are hurricanes in our life that is not meant to stay. They are just passing by so you don’t need to fret. Think of it as chance to improve just like champions do.
- Don’t give up – Do whatever it takes to accomplish your goals and be successful. Accomplish it in ethical and legal bounds. Start saying getting there instead of are we there yet.
- Surround yourself with positive people – Positivity is contagious so try to weed out people that you think drains your positive energy. Get close with positive people and never hesitate to give positive credits when it’s due.
- Rewire your timetable – Baby steps is essential in achieving your goals. Don’t let yourself get overwhelmed with facts and tasks. Try to prioritize the goals from short term to long term so that you won’t get disappointed.
- Act Fast – Pursuing your goals is just like striding a horse; if you fell you need to get up quickly. Remember that time is ticking out to dwell on your setback rather than doing whatever is necessary to succeed.
Let me add a few things that you might also consider in handling setbacks:
- Reflect – Take a minute or day to get a perspective on what happened at work. Did you address the issues at work effectively? Have you done enough to help your team? What did you learn at today’s work? This will help you redefine your goals or even solutions in dealing your setbacks.
- S.O.S. – Put your pride out of the door and asks help from others if you think you can’t do it. You can ask your close friends or colleagues for their advice, support, and perspective about your situation or goals.
Success is not all prestige but its more about hardwork and getting humbled by your experiences. What matters is not the bumpy road you take but how you surpass it to get in wherever you are right now. Setbacks, humiliations, embarrassments, and unfair treatment are always there to remind us that we are a working progress nevertheless a diamond in a rough.
This article is brought to you by Accede Holdings PTY LTD, the premiere database development solutions company in Australia.
Budding entrepreneurs take the first test on the entrepreneurial ladder but not all of them succeed. According to Small Business Association, 7 out of 10 entrepreneurs survive at least two years of operating their business. Experts are everywhere spreading their advice on keeping your startup afloat the entrepreneurial seas. Here are some of the things they think might sink your business forever:
- You started the business with all the wrong reasons – Most startups begin with the idea of a worker thinking that they will be much better as a boss than someone who follows orders. If you got the same mindset, think again.
In order for your startup to succeed, you need to have passion in what you are planning to put up. That means you will allot time and resources to be the best at what you do. You must prepare yourself physically and mentally to withstand the challenges of being in charge. You need to have the drive, determination and perseverance no matter how bad the situation might be. Having a positive attitude goes a mile away as it not only inspires you to do well but you are also channeling that energy in your employees or team.
- Mismanaged business or team – Some incidents of failed business venture lies mainly on poor management. Most business owners are having a hard time managing finances, production, purchasing, selling, and most of all people. Other entrepreneurs are neglecting their business putting much trust on others to run their business that eventually leads to betrayal and fraud.
It is the task of every entrepreneur to carefully study, analyze, plan, and control all aspects of their business. If they feel overwhelmed by the responsibility, they can always seek help of their employees but see to it that you still know what’s going on. Market research is also essential for you to know the trends and how will you keep up with the competition. As an entrepreneur, you must have the eye of choosing the best people to train and delegate tasks in the business. Finally, strategic thinking and planning makes entrepreneurs have the vision of possibilities that their startup can take for the future.
- Lack of Funds – Ideas maybe good but for them to make it happen, money is a must. This aspect of business is taken for granted by most entrepreneurs thinking that they can handle everything with the amount of money that they have. The bad news is you will need money not only to begin but also stay in your business.
As an owner, you must consider funding for two years as this is the critical years for most startups to establish. This means that you will need money to get your business going until such time that revenues can pay up for your costs. You may seek help from the pros in projecting how much money you will need to make your business up and running.
- Bad Business Location – Choosing where to setup your business is crucial especially if you are planning to put up a retail or service-oriented startup. A good business location enables you to succeed whereas to a bad location with an evenly managed business.
You need to consider the location that matches your target customers, its accessibility, safety conditions of the building or area, and lastly the reception of your business at the prospective area. You can also check if your target area offers incentive programs for startup business and possible competition within the area as well.
- Little to No Online Presence – Most entrepreneurs take for granted the advantage of using the Internet to promote their services. They think that it is a waste of money to hire or outsource people that will take care of their online presence. They didn’t realize the benefits they can get with up-to-date online presence.
By online presence means not only a website for your business but also requires you to be active in social media. Every business should setup a professional-looking website with all the information about your business. Make sure that your website is accessible and easy to find by your target customers. With the advent of social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, this makes it easier for business owners to promote their business. Make sure that you don’t only promote but also interact with your audience to create an impression that you are someone they can rely on. (Check out on Accede Holdings Internet Marketing Solution for your business)
Success in startups will always depend on the business owner. Armed with passion, drive, determination, funding, and optimism entrepreneurs will see problems as opportunities to learn and improve. It might take time but always keep eye on the prize and that is phenomenal success and staying power.
Whenever you go shopping, you will hear that familiar “blip” sound as you approach the cashier. That is the sound of barcodes being scanned as a sign that you just purchased an item. Barcodes as we know it, made our life much easier in terms of sales, catalogues, and inventory. The barcode is presented by black-and-white zebra stripes with a pattern of wide and narrow bars. These stripes are being read through a photosensor and convert it into an electrical signal as it scans the barcode. Then scanner measures the relative widths of spaces and bars as it translates the different patterns and sends the information on the computer or portable terminal.
There are different types of barcode being used for different functions. The most popular of them all is Universal Product Code (UPC) barcode that is commonly used for retail products. This type makes retailers easy to program their POS systems with product information necessary to identify them easily. Almost all stores and shops use barcode systems to monitor their sales, stocks, and inventory. They can easily change prices without changing price tags, check stock levels and even track your missing items (appeared to be lost or stolen) through RFID technology.
In order to setup a barcode system, you will need mobile computers, handheld scanners, infrastructure, barcode printers and a supporting software solution to manipulate the functions. Some businesses provide RFID systems in a much larger scale of resource management. Barcode scanners vary from basic wands down to a much sophisticated laser beam scanners. Some models require small video cameras to capture digital barcode image instantly and let the computer interpret the code based on the captured image. Mobile computers works like a regular one that has an operating system but can’t be installed by any additional or non-compatible software. Most of the programs installed on mobile computers have something to do with asset tracking, warehouse management, POS systems, and other monitoring functions related to stocks and sales.
Barcode printers on the other hand produce barcode labels that can be attached to other things or items. Barcode printing uses either direct or thermal transfer technique in applying ink to labels. The difference of the two is that direct transfer uses ink ribbons while thermal transfer uses heat to blacken the barcode into the label. Connecting the printer to the computer can be done either wired or wireless. You can use USB, Ethernet, and serial connectors for wired options while WIFI and Bluetooth are available as wireless options.
The most critical of them all however is the barcode software system. There are software in the market today specifically addressing each need but as a business owner, you need to determine which software works best for you. Most of them promise database and inventory control, data collection, and simply monitoring your production. We at Accede Holdings offer an extensive barcode solution which includes:
- Patient labeling
- Food packaging
- Asset management
- Dispatch documentation
- Manufacturing parts and point of sale items
We also link our software with various software and database products for much easy monitoring and record-keeping. As a company that develops software systems for over 30 years, we are sensitive to what our client needs and address it with precision. Give us a call today for free consultation and advice at 08 8363 5699 or visit us at http://wordpress2.accede.com.au/.
With the enormous amount of data among us, it drastically changed the landscape of how we will store and process structured or unstructured information. This calls for an innovative approach to address the need for scalable and improved performance brought about by database management challenges.
We can’t deny the sudden emergence of SQL and other forms of relational databases to solve this issues but a new player comes with a much better options to offer – as they call it NoSQL. NoSQL offers aggregating oriented databases (Key-Value, Document and Column-family data models), graph databases and the Hadoop ecosystem, which is known as an open-source software framework for storage and large-scale processing of data-sets horizontally. The Hadoop ecosystems also do this processing of data in parallel to clusters of commodity hardware making database management systems running smoothly with minimal errors. We can say that somehow NoSQL addresses issues that relational databases can’t work with while offering a robust ecosystem and standards that matches the capabilities offered by relational databases such as SQL.
Companies and organizations as such are facing a big decision of choosing which to choose among the two. However, we can determine what solution to use to solve the problem through knowing the capabilities and weaknesses of each tool.
Here are our top choices to answer the problems of data organization. We dissected them for you to further understand which solution is best for your business:
- Relational Databases are based on a fixed schema in which data is stored in rows and columns of tables in normal fashion so that when someone accesses it, they will provide ACID properties for database transactions. SQL (Structured Query Language) is mostly used to interact with the stored data. It is due to the fact that SQL is an adopted standard by RDBMS vendors and it allows portable use of applications and skills.
This approach solves the problems of dynamic structured data. Dynamic data is interconnected to the context of each other. Over the years, data relationships became vital as the data itself so the role of relational database is to traverse relationships using joins. A join is a search key to use in another table which can be improved by indexing the other keys. The downsides however of this approach is slower data manipulation (add, edit, and delete functions).
- Hadoop Databases is an open-source framework for storing and processing large-scale data that is set in parallel horizontally. Specifically designed to scale clusters of machines while doing local computation and storage. Data is loaded or attached to the Hadoop Distributed File System or HDFS that is designed to handle large clusters of commodity servers. This system accepts data in any format regardless of their schema as queries and batch read operations can then be executed against these data sets.
Â This system is manufactured to scale out data horizontally using MapReduce technology that splits up the problem and send it to servers for them to process it in parallel. The results derived from each servers are aggregated and then get resolved as compute and storage functions co-exist in the same server. Technically-speaking, Hadoop is not considered a database system as it does not support transactional processing unlike relational databases.
Both of them offers great evolution and solution as far as data management is concern. Both of them are best at keeping data storage and retrieval optimized and smooth-operating. It’s hard to distinguish who will be at par because both of them are superb. Let the developer decide which one to use as it will always depends on the situation and need of the business. Both SQL and NoSQL databases can improve their capabilities by offloading the ingress, processing and egress of large volumes of data to Hadoop, allowing them to focus on their true capabilities and use case.